Posts tagged with "Action" (All posts)
- June 18, 2012 at 11:16 am
Despite a clear need for increased resources in the Social Service department, Rice County Commissioners voted 3-2 last week to limit the hiring of new financial workers to 2, instead of the 4 requested. Rice County has the highest rate of complaints to the State Department of Human Services in the state, is failing to meet state and federal mandates, and is under threat of state sanctions if the situation does not improve promptly. LWV Northfield - Cannon Falls urges members and concerned residents to take action to hold the County Board responsible, and ensure that our Social Services department provides mandated services. Rice County families, businesses, and communities are suffering as a result of the neglect of this department's needs.
Here's what you can do:
- Attend a rally before the County Board meeting on Tuesday, June 26th. Gather by 7:45 a.m. on the south side of the Rice County Government Services Building, 320 Third Street N.W., Faribault, MN 55021. Bring signs, testimony (which may or may not be allowed), and friends and neighbors. Let's show the County Board that we're paying attention, and will demand that all Rice County residents are provided for as mandated under the law.
- Contact the Commissioners who voted against supporting the needs of the Social Services department, and tell them their actions are too costly for Rice County. Local businesses depend on child care funds, food support dollars, and a stable workforce, all of which are hurt when Social Services are not adequate. Call Jake Gillen at (507) 334-5746, Milt Plaisance at (507) 334-7612, and Steve Bauer at (507) 334-9700.
- September 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm
The League of Women Voters (LWV) of Northfield & Cannon Falls invites the community to hear Sherri Knuth, Public Policy Coordinator and chief lobbyist for the League of Women Voters MN, explain the League’s opposition to this pending constitutional amendment.
- August 5, 2011 at 9:53 am
Draw the Line Minnesota has announced the creation of a Minnesota Citizens Redistricting Commission that will be creating maps to share with Minnesota’s judicial redistricting panel. The Commission will be taking citizen input and testimony in locations across Minnesota during the month of August. Northfield is hosting the 2nd Congressional District’s hearing on Thursday, August 11, 2011, at 7 pm at the Northfield Senior Center (there will be a Spanish language interpreter present at the hearing). Citizens across the 2nd District are invited to participate as the 15-member multi-partisan and non-partisan group gathers input.
- February 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm
- December 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm
On Thursday morning, President Barack Obama announced that the United States has endorsed the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The United States was the last nation to endorse this resolution for indigenous peoples. This 33-year effort aims to improve the lives of Indian and Alaska Native nations…
- September 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm
- August 19, 2010 at 3:24 pm
by Jane McWilliams
A special council meeting has been scheduled for Monday, August 23 at 7:00 p.m. to solicit public comments on the City’s 2011 budget. This is in advance of the City Council establishing the City’s preliminary 2011 property tax levy and well in advance of the formal public…
- July 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm
The League of Women Voters is hosting a forum with candidates for Northfield city council tonight. (See the Home page.) You can attend, at 7:00 p.m. in the Northfield City Council Chambers, or you can listen in on KYMN (
- May 13, 2010 at 10:18 pm
The filing period to run for Northfield City Council, and Rice County Commissioners begins next week on Tuesday May 18 and runs through Tuesday, June 1. The Northfield League of Women Voters urges all interested residents to consider running for public office as a way to serve your…
- January 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm
Here's a link to the show last night (Friday, January 22, 2010) where Keesha Gaskins with the League of Women Voters Minnesota squared off against noted conservative David Strom: http://www.tpt.org/almanac/
Click on segment "Supreme Court Weighs In on Campaign…
- January 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm
Washington, DC –The following is a statement by Mary G. Wilson, national president of the League of Women Voters on the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United v. FEC. The…
- January 13, 2010 at 5:31 pm
The Senate and the House of Representatives have both passed health care reform legislation. But a final bill is not yet ready to go to the President. This is a critical time to urge your Representative and Senators, as well as the President, to pass comprehensive health care reform…