The League of Women Voters, Minnesota is asking for calls to legislators in support of state and national constitutional amendments. Their request follows:
Support Equal Rights in US and MN Constitutions!
On Thursday, January 24, 2019, the House Government Operations Committee will hear two bills, HF 13 and HF 71.
HF 13 would allow voters to add an Equal Rights Amendment to the Minnesota Constitution.
- If passed by our legislature and then by the electorate in the 2020 election, this amendment would provide a needed constitutional defense for claims of gender-based violence and sex discrimination in the workplace, similar to that of racial or religious discrimination.
- The amendment language is simple and fair: “Equality under the law shall not be abridged or denied on account of gender”.
- 24 other states have some kind of equal rights protections in their constitutions, and others are poised to act.
HF 71 would extend the deadline for passing the Equal Rights Amendment to the US Constitution.
- Over a period of 47 years, 37 of required 38 states have ratified the ERA to date. Only one more is required!
- Unfortunately, Congress required that the ERA be ratified within 10 years, so this bill, asks Congress to remove that barrier, so momentum toward full ratification can continue.
- Minnesota already ratified the ERA in 1972. Now, we need to ask Congress to extend the deadline!
Equal rights regardless of gender is in neither the federal or state Constitution. Please call your legislator to support both of these bills!